Gingerbread Stars might be considered more suitable for the Winter season around Christmas, but we didn't have any biscuits to have with a cuppa and I fancied making something a little different that I had never made before. These are super easy to make and would be great to make with kids too as they are fun to make and decorate. You can cut them into any shape you like such as men or hearts but I chose stars.
* 350g plain flour + extra for rolling out.
* 1tsp bicarbonate of soda.
* 2 tsp ground ginger.
*1 tsp ground cinnamon.
* 125g butter/margarine.
* 175g light soft brown sugar.
* 1 free range egg.
* 4 tbsp golden syrup.
* 1 pack of ready to roll royal icing.
* Glitter, balls, writing icing - anything you want!
* Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl so they are evenly mixed.
* Add the butter and blend in a food processor (I used a K beater) until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
* Mix in the sugar.
* Beat the egg and golden syrup together with a fork then add to the mixture. Pulse the food processor until the mixture binds together then turn out and gently knead until smooth.
*Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for around 15 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
* Lightly flour your surface then roll out the dough so it is about half a cm thick. Use which ever cutters you have chosen to cut out your gingerbread shapes. Place them on the baking tray, remembering to leave spaces between them as they will spread a little during baking.
* Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Leave on the tray to cool for a while then transfer onto a wire rack to complete cooling.
* To decorate you will probably only need half of your pack of icing. Sprinkle your surface with icing sugar then roll out the icing to the thickness you would like.
* Cut out the icing with the same cutters you used for the ginger bread.
* Wet the back of the icing with a little water using a pastry brush then transfer onto the gingerbread.
* Decorate with any other things you would like.
As always, if you chose to have a go at this recipe yourself let me know how it goes and tweet me a picture! @LilMisLifestyle xxx
Based on this recipe.