Monday 15 October 2012

Review: Provoke Touch of Silver Shampoo


As I highlight my hair, over time the blonde can begin to fade and look a bit more yellow and brassy. A purple shampoo used once a week can aid in lifting the hair colour and banishing brassy tones. You might remember that in my first empties post I featured John Frieda's purple shampoo which had lasted me ages and was my first type of toning shampoo. I liked it but the effect it gave only lasted a day and I wanted to try some other options. This search for a new toning shampoo led to 'Touch of Silver' by Provoke, which I picked up in a haul a while ago.

Although it looks like a relatively small bottle compared to other shampoos, you only need a little and considering I use it around once a week it will last me a really long time. The size also means it is great for travel. It states it is for use with grey, white or platinum hair but its been great for my hair too. I have a range of three colours in my hair which are close to my natural colour meaning my hair is lifted but still very natural. Because the colour of this shampoo is so intense I choose to mix it with my regular shampoo and leave it in for a few minutes - you need to be wary of leaving it on too long as you can end up with purple tinges! It really depends on how blonde you are. The John Frieda shampoo in comparison was a light purple where as this is properly violet, almost blue in colour. It also says it is for twice weekly use but to be honest I don't wash my hair enough to do this (I was it around every 3 days) so once a week is a maximum for me. The formula lathers up nicely even though it is quite thin and also smells floral. You need to make sure you don't use this product too often as it can lead to colour build up of purple, therefore it is better to rotate it with your regular shampoo.

The effects of this shampoo are evident as soon as I take the towel off my head. My hair when wet looks the same as when I've just had it coloured - you can really see the blonde tones coming through. This shampoo lifts my hair colour and definitely banishes yellow tones, which is great if you want to stretch out the time you next get your hair bleached at the salon to renew the colour. When using this I'm also sure to follow up with an intensive conditioner as toners aren't the kindest thing for your hair.

I've been really happy with the results of this shampoo and would recommend it for all shades of blonde - you just need to be aware with how long you want to leave it etc to get the best results for you. It does the job of more expensive brands for a much lower price, so if you are looking for a purple shampoo at a budget price but not sure what to choose I urge you to try this! xxx

9 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, I might have to try this out :)

    missmary21.blogspot.co.uk
    Tales from a biker jacket

    Amy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally recommend this one, my hair is platinum blond, but with the sun and time it goes a lil bit yellow, and i hate it, then i just leave it for a few seconds 1 time n a week and it gets perfect, the only probs is dat my hair its gettin really dry, so its better to always have a good conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave it on for a little time too. I usually use a deep conditioner afterwards as I find it can make your hair a little dry xx

      Delete
  3. Hey would you recommend this if you had used platinum hair colour/bleach but its just yellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if you are looking to tone your hair I would recommend it to get the yellow tones out (you might need to use it a few times depending on the yellowness) but as it is quite drying as is bleach I would use a protein treatment is possible to strengthen and a hair mask after to put the moisture back in. I hope that helps xxx

      Delete
  4. Hey I also have highlights but I feel like this shampoo has made my hair a white blonde and the darker segments a coppery brassy tone :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this shampoo, great review :) x

    we-touched-the-stars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this shampoo! Currently using it to get my hair a silvery grey for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read every single one! Make sure to check back or subscribe for email updates as I always reply, especially if it is a question. xxx

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs