Wednesday 28 January 2015

Review: OGX | Coconut Water Shampoo & Coconut Milk Conditioner


Over the past year or so I had heard good things about the brand OGX and so when looking for a new budget shampoo and conditioner at the end of last year I picked up two products from the Coconut range which sounded like they would be perfect for me. This was before my pledge to use more natural hair care products so these do contain sulfates.

Lets start with the Weightless Hydration Coconut Water Shampoo, which I'm afraid to say ruined my hair. For a few weeks now my hair has been looking and feeling really dry, frizzy and unmanageable and the colour has been looking very lack lustre and dull. I had no idea what was going on until I realised that the only thing I had changed in my hair routine was these products. 

I had high hopes for this shampoo because it sounded perfect -  coconut water appealed to me as it sounded hydrating yet light and it promised to transform 'dry and parched hair into silky shiny perfection.' When using this shampoo my hair felt very stripped and I had to use a lot of the conditioner to make up for this. However the conditioner couldn't do much to rectify it as whether I left it to dry naturally or blow dried my hair it would look so frizzy and dry and it actually started to make me feel really self concious! Due to this I have had to use a lot more heat styling when before I could leave my hair natural 90% of the time, which in turn creates even more damage. It did nothing whatsoever to hydrate or nourish my hair and actually made it more dry and parched than it was before. After switching to a much more nourishing shampoo, even after the first wash my hair was looking better. 

The Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner was again quite bog standard and was definitely not 'luxuriously creamy'. It smells good, although the scent doesn't linger on your hair, and it made my hair feel more soft after use in the shower but like I said above the effects didn't really last as soon as my hair was dry. 

Overall I think it's pretty safe to say that I wouldn't repurchase these and advise you not to waste your money either. It has put me off the brand and I'm not sure I would be willing to try any other products from the company. I am putting in an order to get this amazing duo from Paul Mitchell right now instead!

I would love to know if you have had a similar experience to me or have loved another range by OGX - let me know in the comments! xxx

5 comments:

  1. I've used the OGX Passionfruit and Guava shampoo before and that's great! Maybe it's the coconut range... I want to try the Kukui Oil duo xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it would smell lovely! I've heard mixed reviews about all the ranges so just going to steer clear of them now I think xx

      Delete
  2. I used the Moroccan oil ones and that ruined my hair! Couldn't get a brush through it! Would go greasy so fast! I know what you mean about feeling self conscious as it made me paranoid!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh no that sounds awful :(! I was recommended those as an alternative to this range so I think I'm going to stick to what I thought and not try anything else.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the OGX range. To be fair the coconut water range isn't my favourite but the coconut milk range is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read every single one! Make sure to check back or subscribe for email updates as I always reply, especially if it is a question. xxx

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs